View from my apartment window, 14th St and First Avenue, New York City. Previous three hours, images taken every 5 minutes.
Here’s a completely subjective list of some of my favorite places to eat in the neighborhood:
- Ciao for Now is a wonderful cafe bakery on 12th St between Aves. A & B. The maple sticky buns (weekends only) might be the best I’ve ever had. If you see owners Kevin and Amy, tell them Joe says hi.
- There’s a lot of good Ramen in the neighborhood. Ippudo is probably the best, but almost everything has pork in it. Another good option is Kambi on 14th St near First Ave. Not ramen, but Curry Ya has fantastic Japanese Curry.
- Kati Thai (right downstairs) is a great little Thai place.
- The original Artichoke Pizza is on 14th St between 1st and 2nd. They’ve got one of the most popular pizza slices in the city, but South Brooklyn Pizza might be even better.
- Related to Artichoke, there’s also This Little Piggy Had Roast Beef, which has a very, very good pastrami sandwich and the newly opened Chubby Mary’s Heros (formerly Led Zeppole).
- Essa Bagel on 1st Ave at 21st has some of the best bagels in NYC–or maybe anywhere.
- Café Mogador is quite simply a defining East Village brunch destination.
This map shows the approximate area visible from the webcam.